Reginald William "Reg" Hall
Born in Doric Place, Woodbridge. He was a butcher and machinist by trade. He left school at 11. His first job was as a clerk with the grain merchants Ransome & Paul on the Ipswich dockside. Then he joined the Cooperative Wholesale Society (Coop) as a trainee butcher. In 1930-31 he was part-owner of a butcher's shop in the High St., Felixstowe, which he bought with money he inherited from his uncle (his father's oldest brother). The butcher's shop is still there. Thelma and Murray were born over the shop. The shop did not provide enough income during the depression for two people, so he sold out in the early 1930's to his co-owner. In 1931 the family moved to Stowupland where he operated a butcher's van for the Coop. In September 1939, the family moved to Chelmsford (against his wife's wishes) and he became a machinist in a ball-bearing factory (Hoffmann's). When he was 63 he became a machinist at Cromptons, which made electric motors for the underground railway.. All his life he was a strong supporter of the labour union and the Labour Party. Here are some photos of him as a young man smoking a cigarette, in a formal pose, in another formal pose, and with friends. He died of a heart attack. His ashes were distributed in Christchurch Park, Ipswich.
He appears in the 1911 census.